Monday, September 1, 2014



I've been experimenting with collage for a long time now.  The previous collages except for. lady on the phone, were all done on the scanner.  I just take collage elements and move them around randomly on the scanner.  Each time I get a new image, and the images are infinite.  "House with Pumpkin" is an accumulation of all the collages I've done up to now.  Lady on the phone was my earlier attempt to put a collage into a painting.  Just recently, the collages have made more sense to me, to put into painting.  I use a different method than the scanner now.  I take collage elements and shift them around and I shoot photos of them.  Once again, the images are infinite.  The process in these reminds me of French Dada painter Jean Arp where he took cut out paper and let them fall randomly onto his working surface.  Chance played a big part in the final image, however it was still controlled with the shapes he used and how he let them fall.  My photo-collages are also controlled and chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment