Tuesday, August 19, 2014


By the water's edge.  Tlhe idea for this painting came from an experiment in throwing and splattering paint.  I took about 10 canvases outside on the grass on a hot sunny day (so they could dry quicker).  I started to toss and drip paint, but I was not happy with the results so I started brushing too.  My colors were muddy and ugly and I was not happy with the results again.  However, a surprise happened.  The peony plant nearby cast a shadow of leaves on one of the canvases,  and I ran and got my camera. The shadow on the canvas looked like leaves painted on the canvas and it looked like a forground to the painting.  I thought the shadow was so cool that I started putting the other canvases underneath  it and started photographing those too.  One particular painting worked well with the shadow which I thought would make a good forground tree, and the background would make a good sky.  But, as I looked at it harder I noticed that if I turned it upside down the background was not a sky but murky water.  And by the "Water's Edge" was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment